Hi friends! I haven’t been blogging too much lately but I have some more recipes to share so I’ll be posting more often! This post goes out to my new pals Miriam, Amanda, and Rikki! They are just out of college and living in Moscow this year! They reminded me of why I started this blog – to help people make yummy food when certain ingredients are harder to come by since we are living in a foreign country! This recipe for Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole is is comfort food for me. And it is actually pretty healthy too as long as you don’t go too heavy on the cheese! Enjoy!
Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 C. brown rice or white rice (I used brown)
- 2 C. chicken broth
- 2 C. frozen broccoli florets (can use fresh – about 1/2 head of broccoli)
- 1 green onion
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. (225g) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut up into small pieces
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. flour
- 1 C. milk
- dollop of sour cream
- 4 oz. (113g) colby jack cheese (can use your favorite cheese), grated
- more salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot then add rice. Cover then turn heat down to medium-low. When rice is almost done, add broccoli and green onions on top to steam them a bit.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then saute until done. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Whisk flour and 1/4 C. milk in a small bowl. Turn skillet down to medium and pour milk mixture in it. Stirring continually, slowly add remaining 3/4 C. milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and add 3/4 of the grated cheese, as well as the sour cream, and more salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Stir until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Combine cooked rice and broccoli mixture with cheese sauce, and add chicken back into the mixture. Pour into an 8×8 casserole pan and top with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted.
- Serve the yummy cheesy goodness!🙂