I decided to make this because I have never cooked a whole chicken before. It was a really good experience and I will do it again soon! I got ideas from several places, and some of my recipe is loosely based off the recipe for Roasted Chicken and Vegetables from http://www.kayotickitchen.com/
1 whole chicken (mine was about 2 pounds)
1 bell pepper
1 large red onion
2 large carrots
5 garlic gloves
1 T seasoning – I used Mrs. Dash
Ingredients for Sauce:
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup honey
· Cut up apples, bell pepper, onion and carrots into large bite sized pieces
· Clean chicken well and pat dry with paper towel.
· Coat with oil and whatever you want to season it with and stuff it with the lime cut in half and additional seasoning.
· Put chicken in a roasting pan with apples, pepper, onion, garlic cloves and carrots, and drizzle the veggies with olive oil.
· Combine chicken broth and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and boil for a couple minutes to reduce. Then add the honey and keep reducing until the liquid gets thicker. Baste chicken with the glaze.
· Put the pan in the oven, every 20 minutes taking out to baste with the glaze. glaze the veggies too!
· When the chicken has been cooking for an hour, take it out and add the cherry tomatoes. My chicken took about an hour and a half to cook.
· When the chicken is done, if you have any sauce left pour the rest of the sauce on the veggies and chicken. I took the lime out of the chicken and squeezed a little of it over the chicken. Let it sit for a few minutes, then slice and serve!
· I served this with rice, and we put the juice from the chicken/sauce over the rice and veggies. So good!