I made this yummy “Chicken and Dumplings”-ish meal when Laura came over the other day for some Russian language help. I’d been wanting to try this recipe for awhile and I’m sooo glad I did! Even though the recipe calls for tortilla strips instead of actually making real dumplings – this dish tasted great and I couldn’t really even tell a difference! A warm and fulfilling meal for a cold winter’s night. Yes, it’s March 8 here, and yes, it’s still winter. Don’t gloat… 🙂
Enjoy this hearty and tasty treat which comes from Cooking Light. It serves about 4.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 10 oz. (283 g.) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 14oz. (0.4 Liters) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips (8 was a LOT. I used 6.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and vegetables; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.
While chicken mixture cooks, combine water, flour, and broth. Gradually stir broth mixture into chicken mixture. Stir in salt, pepper, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in tortilla strips, and cook 2 minutes or until tortilla strips soften. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Discard bay leaf. Serve immediately.