Last year, my co-cooking devushka, Laura, wrote out a list of all the different things she wanted to learn how to make. I haven’t checked in with her recently to see how she’s doing on her list. But this year I thought I would make a list of my own 2010 cooking goals. These aren’t New Year’s Resolutions, because people hardly ever complete their new Year’s resolutions! But they are goals that I have to grow in my cooking abilities. So here goes!
1. I will try to cook some Asian dishes. I tend to get scared off by recipes I see for Asian-inspired dishes because they have ingredients in them that are not easy to find here in Russia. But – this year, I want to try harder to find them, or to find good substitutes for the ingredients I can’t find.
2. I will not allow ingredients I’ve never heard of to scare me off. I tend to evaluate a recipe first and foremost by the ingredients that are in it. So, my desire is to be more adventurous with my cooking, trying out recipes that include things like “creme fraiche” and “fish sauce.”
3. I will really experiment with baking more bread this year. I plan to cook my way through Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes in Day….and actually search for and find whole wheat flour in Moscow. I know it has to be here…SOMEWHERE.
4. I will experiment with flour this year too. Bread flour, cake flour….how do I work with these non-existent things in Russia? I’l figure it out this year for sure!
5. Some things I want to try to make this year:
- Pad Thai
- Green Curry
- Recipes with shrimp
- Corn Tortillas (but I’m almost positive there is NO Mexican market in which to buy Masa Harina!)
- Jelly or Jam
- Beef Bourguignonne
6. A few cooking appliances I hope to own one day: KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Waffle-Maker, and a LeCreuset Dutch Oven.
Do you have any cooking goals for 2010?? Tell us about them!