I’m sure many of you are preparing for the big day ahead. I myself have had such a busy Fall that Thanksgiving had barely even registered in my mind as coming up soon. But suddenly, without warning, the yearly email that I receive from our Thanksgiving dinner hostess extraordinaire, Lori, showed up in my email inbox. And I once again began to consider, as I have in many years previous to this one, what I would contribute to this year’s feast.
You see, this isn’t an easy decision for those who have a great love of cooking. If you could see my internet bookmarks and my Google Reader, and the thousands of recipes that I tuck away there (my own virtual cookbook) for just that right occasion, you’d know that choosing is not an easy task! Appetizer or Roll? Dessert or Side? All of the above??!!!
I haven’t ever gotten to host Thanksgiving Dinner in my own home. My apartment is generally too small, and it really is the one time per year that I really love gathering together with 30+ people. And that would just not be pretty in my cozy little apartment. Lori Beyar to the rescue again! 🙂 But if I WERE to host Thanksgiving dinner. And if I actually had TIME to cook ALL the dishes myself…what would I make? So here’s my little guide to Thanksgiving dinner, if you are needing some inspiration. I certainly wouldn’t make ALL of these things. But take a gander and see what strikes your fancy. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Holiday Cranberry Chutney (All Recipes)
- Spinach Artichoke Dip from Brown Eyed Baker
- Bacon Wrapped Dates from Aarti Paarti
- Homemade Cheese-Ball
- Sausage Balls (note – if you can’t get Bisquick – like us – you’ll need a substitute.)
Turkey – two variations
- Roasted Thanksgiving Turkey from PDub (I’ve never made a turkey, and if I’m going to consult anyone, it’s going to be the queen, the Pioneer Woman herself!) Step 1: Turkey Brine . Step 2: Roasting
- Deep Fried Turkey : We have this every year in my hometown for a “Thanksgiving in July” kind of party. Try it!
Sides (just some ideas)
- Kit’s Cranberry Sauce from Tasty Kitchen
- Pan Gravy (note: I love the way my dad makes gravy. This recipe from Everyday Food looked pretty close, so I’m posting it!)
- Cheesy Squash Casserole from Health
- Green Bean Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole from Chaos in the Kitchen
- Corn Casserole from Tasty Kitchen
- My Mom’s Baked Mashed Potatoes
Hint: Sometimes Casserole Recipes call for “Cream of Something Soup” For a healthier option – make your own Cream Soup substitute. We can’t even get cans of soup like this in Russia – so this substitute is a must for us! And trust me, it tastes better!
Bread (again, so many options!)
- Garlic Knots from Brown Eyed Baker
- Buttery Crescent Rolls from Martha Stewart
- Parmesan Pull-Aparts from Gourmet
- No-Knead Dinner Rolls from the Pioneer Woman
- Cheese Muffins from the Pioneer Woman
- Cheddar-Garlic Biscuits from Amber’s Delectable Delights
Dessert (let your sweet tooth get the best of you, just this once!)
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from Smitten Kitchen
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie from Martha Stewart
- Chocolate Pecan Pie from Martha Stewart
- Thanksgiving Two-fer Pie (Think Pumpkin & Pecan in the same pie – the best of both worlds!) from Dorie Greenspan
- Dutch Apple Pie from Brown Eyed Baker
- Need the perfect pie crust? Brown Eyed Baker’s got you covered!